Inaugural Newsletter - Gratitude
by The Granola Kid Team
We can hardly believe it! This is our inaugural newsletter which we thought would take months to get off the ground. Heck, we thought our whole business would take much longer to get off the ground. So, this leads us to our first and foremost point to think about and reflect on. GRATITUDE. Let’s start with how grateful we are at The Granola Kid to all of YOU, our buyers, well-wishers, taste testers, and overall supporters. We thank you from the bottom of our hearts for the kindness and generosity you have shown us in such a short time. We appreciate all the love and say ‘keep it comin’ because there is no such thing as too much love – just like there is no such thing as too much granola.
Let’s dig into the idea of gratitude. The dictionary defines gratitude as “the quality of being thankful; readiness to show appreciation for and to return kindness.” We all know that being thankful is important but how does it help us? Researchers Joshua Brown and Joel Wong did a study looking at university students who were reporting low levels of mental health. Their main findings about gratitude:
- “Gratitude unshackles us from toxic emotions’. We tend to use more positive words and the word “we” when we practice gratitude. Using less negative words and feeling a sense of collectiveness helps with better mental health.
- It doesn’t matter if you communicate the gratitude to others – the benefit is still there just by practicing it for yourself.
- Gratitude’s benefit takes time. Yes, you got it. It’s not a quick fix. Nothing worth having usually is.
- Gratitude has long lasting effects on the brain. The researchers found that people who are grateful actually show a difference in brain activity and that they tend to more mindful of how to express gratitude. Practicing gratitude can make a person more sensitive to gratitude! As we know from above, being more grateful can lead to a more positive outlook.
To read the entire article and study details, visit - https://bit.ly/3nosRAv
So, choose times when you can practice gratitude. We at GK like to pour ourselves our favourite granola, sit down with a cup of coffee (tea or any other beverage you enjoy) and reflect on how grateful we are for all of YOU.
Till next month, thank you. Your kindness is helping our business to succeed, breaking down barriers for people who are often marginalized, all the while feeding your beautiful bellies and souls with really good food.
With Love & Gratitude,
The Granola Kid team.
A little fun...Featured Recipe: Strawberry Nice Cream topped with GK Granola
If you’ve ever met the Granola Kid, you know one of his favourite things is ice cream. Here is a recipe to enjoy ice cream in a healthy way. Topped with what else? You guessed it – GRANOLA from The Granola Kid!
Makes 2 servings – just enough for you and a friend.
- 2 frozen bananas (peel your bananas and put them in the freezer for several hours until nice and hard)
- 1 cup of your favourite frozen fruit (we used frozen strawberries today and have made it with frozen blueberries also)
Put the ingredients into a food processor and let it do its thing. Scoop it out – top with GRANOLA from GK and enjoy. Post your photos on IG and tag us @thegranolakid and show off your creations. Optional toppings: Chocolate chips, Coconut flakes, Nuts